On Sep27, 2011, at 07:59 , Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 27.09.2011 00:28, Florian Pflug wrote:
>> On Sep26, 2011, at 22:39 , Tom Lane wrote:
>>> It might be worthwhile to invoke XLogCheckInvalidPages() as soon as
>>> we (think we) have reached consistency, rather than leaving it to be
>>> done only when we exit recovery mode.
>>
>> I believe we also need to prevent the creation of restart points before
>> we've reached consistency.
>
> Seems reasonable. We could still allow restartpoints when the hash table is
> empty, though. And once we've reached consistency, we can throw an error
> immediately in log_invalid_page(), instead of adding the entry in the hash
> table.

That mimics the way the rm_safe_restartpoint callbacks work, which is good.

Actually, why don't we use that machinery to implement this? There's currently
no rm_safe_restartpoint callback for RM_XLOG_ID, so we'd just need to create
one that checks whether invalid_page_tab is empty.

best regards,
Florian Pflug