On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 12:58:07PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> What would be really cool is if we could somehow reuse the conversion
> modules provided by the C library and/or the iconv library.  For example,
                                              ^^^^^^^

 Very good point. Why use own conversion routines/tables if there is common
 library for this?

 The encoding API for PostgreSQL is really cool idea.

 I unsure with only one argument for encoding function. What if I want
 to use one generic function for all encodings (for example as API to
 iconv)? I think better C interface is:

    encode( TEXT data, NAME from, NAME to );

 where from/to are encoding names. The other way is use some struct
 that handle this information -- like ARGS in trigger functions.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/