Josh Kupershmidt <schmi...@gmail.com> writes:
> We're essentially pretending that we support all server versions with
> this code, instead of erroring out on some definite old version and
> admitting "sorry, can't do it". ...
> I think we should draw a line somewhere about just how far back psql
> must support,

Says right at the top of the file:

 * Support for the various \d ("describe") commands.  Note that the current
 * expectation is that all functions in this file will succeed when working
 * with servers of versions 7.4 and up.  It's okay to omit irrelevant
 * information for an old server, but not to fail outright.