On 01/16/2012 05:25 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

The most reasonable answer to this is for people to publish a git repo URL in addition to the "official" submission of changes to the list in patch form. And momentum toward doing that just keeps going up, even among longer term contributors who weren't git advocates at all a year during the transition. I nudged Simon that way and he's pushing branches for major patches but not small ones yet, it looks like Andrew fully embraced bitbucket recently, etc.

If we're going to do that, the refspec to be pulled needs to be a tag, I think, not just a branch, and people would have to get into the habit of tagging commits and explicitly pushing tags.

I probably should be doing that, and it is now built into the buildfarm client release mechanism, but I usually don't when just publishing dev work. Guess I need to start. I'll probably use tag names like branch-YYYYMMDDHHMM.

I certainly like the idea of just being able to pull in a tag from a remote instead of applying a patch.

(BTW, I use both bitbucket and github. They both have advantages.)

cheers

andrew