On 01/16/2012 06:19 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
I wonder if it would make sense to split out those changes from the
patch, including a one-member struct definition to the lexer source,
which could presumably be applied in advance of the rest of the patch.
That way, if other parts of the main patch are contentious, the tree
doesn't drift under you.  (Or rather, it still drifts, but you no longer
care because your bits are already in.)

The way this was packaged up was for easier reviewer consumption, just pull down the whole thing and run with it. I was already thinking that if we've cleared the basics with a positive review and are moving more toward commit, it would be better to have it split into three pieces:

-Core parsing changes
-pg_stat_statements changes
-Test programs

And then work through those in that order. Whether or not the test programs even go into core as contrib code is a useful open question.

While Peter had a version of this that worked completely within the boundaries of an extension, no one was really happy with that. At a minimum the .length changes really need to land in 9.2 to enable this feature to work well. As Daniel noted, it's a lot of code changes, but not a lot of code complexity.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD