On mån, 2012-03-19 at 08:59 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> The other problem with this approach is that it's hard to keep a huge
> test suite 100% clean. Changes inevitably introduce behaviour changes
> that cause some of the tests to fail.

I think we are used to that because of the way pg_regress works.  When
you have a better test infrastructure that tests actual functionality
rather than output formatting, this shouldn't be the case (nearly as
much).

If someone wanted to bite the bullet and do the work, I think we could
move to a Perl/TAP-based test suite (not pgTAP, but Perl and some fairly
standard Test::* modules) and reduce that useless reformatting work and
test more interesting things.  Just a thought ...