On 04/09/2012 01:25 PM, Atri Sharma wrote:
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  wrote:

On 04/09/2012 12:14 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:

So I'm confused, once they link a file to an FDW can't you just read
it with an normal select ?

What additional functionality will this provide ?

I'm confused about what you're confused about. Surely this won't be linking
files to an FDW, but foreign DBMS tables, in anything you can access via
JDBC. All you'll need on the postgres side is the relevant JDBC driver, so
you'd have instant access via standard select queries to anything you can
get a JDBC driver to talk to. That seems to me something worth having.

I imagine it would look rather like this:

   CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER foodb HANDLER pljava_jdbc_handler
   OPTIONS (driver 'jdbc.foodb.org');
   CREATE SERVER myfoodb FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER foodb OPTIONS(host
   '1.2.3.4', user 'foouser', password 'foopw');
   CREATE FOREIGN TABLE footbl (id int, data text) SERVER myfoodb;
   SELECT * from footbl;

cheers

andrew
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for going through my proposal and commenting on it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.We will be connecting the
foreign DBMS tables.The main aim of the project is to wrap JDBC so we
can connect to anything that can be reached through a JDBC URL.

I am considering two paths for doing this:
The first one takes the help of the SPI(Server Programming Interface)
and the second one directly connects through Pl/Java and JNI(Java
Native Interface).

I'd say forget SPI - I don't think it's going to help you here. Just concentrate on getting the functionality via a PL/Java wrapper. I wouldn't worry too much about jdbc style URLs either, since logically I think you'd want to specify the connection parameters via server and FDW options as in my example above - that way it would be consistent with other FDWs. But that's a piece of bikeshedding for now. Basically, you want to implement the handler function to start with.

cheers

andrew