On 5/29/12 2:46 PM, james wrote:
How easy would it be to implement a fake async rep target?

Perhaps even as something that a server could allow a connection to request?
(ie a suitably permissioned connection could convert itself to receive n async
replication stream, rather than being statically configured?)

I know that it sounds a bit bonkers, but a while back I worked on a system
where we configured a rep target (using OpenServer) we could observe changes to
tables and enqueue secondary processing. Rather painful in that case because of
the way that repserver is configured,
and I'm not sure it was worth the pain when configuring test and dev
environments.

However, in principle, it seems that this is quite an elegant standing for a
whole raft of trigger functions - and probably a lot cheaper to execute. The
key, I think, is to be able to allow dynamic attachment of such a 'change feed'
by an account that has god-like read access.

Is the existing async rep code amenable to this sort of abuse?

How would a client actually use the *binary* information it was handed? There
is no ability to turn it into SQL or anything similar; what is sent is in a
completely proprietary, internal-use-only format. Unless that changes (which
there has been some discussion of) I doubt such a connection would be of any
value.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   j...@nasby.net