Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> writes:
> Updated patch attached which just reports the file as empty.  I assume
> we don't want the extra text output for pg_ctl like we do for the
> backend.

The backend side of this looks mostly sane to me (but drop the \n,
messages are not supposed to contain those).  But the feof test proposed
for pg_ctl is no good: consider a file containing just, say, "-".
fscanf would eat the "-", then hit eof, and this would complain the file
is empty.  Possibly checking for ftell(pidf) == 0 would do, though I'm
not sure whether it's portable to assume fscanf would eat a non-numeric
character before complaining.