On 09/04/2012 08:37 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
Frankly, I have had enough failures of parallel make that I think doing
this would generate a significant number of non-repeatable failures (I
had one just the other day that took three invocations of make to get
right). So I'm not sure doing this would advance us much, although I'm
open to persuasion.
Really?  I routinely use -j4 for building, and it's been a long time
since I've seen failures.  I can believe that for instance "make check"
in contrib would have a problem running in parallel, but the build
process per se seems reliable enough from here.

Both cases were vpath builds, which is what I usually use, if that's a useful data point.

Maybe I run on lower level hardware than you do. I saw this again this afternoon after I posted the above. In both cases this was the machine that runs the buildfarm's crake. I'll try to get a handle on it.

cheers

andrew