On 10/18/2012 09:10 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
Daniel,

I'm not going to disagree with that, I only feel it's reasonable to
ask why those who react so strongly against deprecation why they think
what they do, and receive a clinical response, because not everyone
has seen those use cases.  My level of interest in deprecation is only
as far as "if those who have to deal with the RULES implementation
don't want to work on it anymore in favor of other things, I think the
pain to users of deprecation is, from my vantage point, manageable if
given some time."
Note that you have heard from one of the people maintaining RULES, who
doesn't find them problematic to maintain (Tom).  Note that the original
hackers calling for deprecation do not work on RULEs except where they
touch other features.

Just for kicks I decided to look and see how long ago 120 commits was on each of the backend subdirectories. Here are the results:

   [andrew@emma backend]$ for f in * ; do test -d $f && git log
   --format="$f: %ci" $f | sed -n -e 1,120d  -e 'p;q' ; done
   access: 2012-02-21 14:14:16 -0500
   bootstrap: 2004-10-10 23:37:45 +0000
   catalog: 2011-06-16 12:11:20 -0400
   commands: 2011-11-23 00:03:22 -0500
   executor: 2010-02-20 21:24:02 +0000
   libpq: 2009-08-29 19:26:52 +0000
   main: 1998-04-06 00:32:26 +0000
   nodes: 2010-01-01 23:03:10 +0000
   optimizer: 2011-04-08 19:19:17 -0400
   parser: 2011-03-08 16:43:56 -0500
   po: 2003-10-04 22:50:20 +0000
   port: 2006-10-13 13:59:47 +0000
   postmaster: 2011-04-03 19:42:00 -0400
   replication: 2011-01-10 21:53:18 +0100
   rewrite: 2005-04-28 21:47:18 +0000
   storage: 2011-07-08 18:44:07 +0300
   tcop: 2009-12-07 05:22:23 +0000
   tsearch: 2007-08-22 04:13:15 +0000
   utils: 2012-04-20 23:56:57 -0300

As you can see, in the case of rewrite it takes us back 7 1/2 years. I know this is a *very* rough measure, but it still tends to indicate to me that the maintenance burden isn't terribly high.

cheers

andrew