On 12/11/12 05:55, Greg Smith wrote:
The only guarantee I see that we can give for online upgrades is that after a VACUUM CHECKSUM sweep is done, and every page is known to both have a valid checksum on it and have its checksum bits set, *then* any page that doesn't have both set bits and a matching checksum is garbage. Until reaching that point, any old data is suspect. The idea of operating in an "we'll convert on write but never convert old pages" can't come up with any useful guarantees about data integrity that I can see. As you say, you don't ever gain the ability to tell pages that were checksummed but have since been corrupted from ones that were corrupt all along in that path.

You're right about that, but I'd just like some rough guard against hardware/OS related data corruption. and that is more likely to hit data-blocks constantly flying in and out of the system. I'm currently running a +2TB database and the capabillity to just see some kind of corruption earlier rather than later is a major benefit by itself. Currently corruption can go undetected if it just
happens to hit data-only parts of the database.

But I totally agree that the scheme described with integrating it into a autovacuum process would
be very close to ideal, even on a database as the one I'l running.

--
Jesper