On 12/05/2012 01:48 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
I'm sorry what I have offered isn't what you want, but plenty of other people
have told me it will go a long way meeting their needs.
*Sigh.* I guess I have not been clear.

The stuff you propose is *awesome*. I love it. The syntax with the chaining
operators warms my heart, and I can’t wait to make *extensive* use of it in my
procedural code. Maybe I would never *need* to do column queries of JSON
contents often enough to require an expensive index.

OK, sorry if I misunderstood. I guess I'm trying pretty hard to concentrate on what can be accomplished now, and other people are talking about blue sky possibilities.

So I'm happy with this stuff, as long as it does not get in the way of
supporting indexing at some point in the future. I can’t wait to start using it!

I don't see why it should get in the way of anything like that. If anything, the parser design changes I have proposed should make later development much easier.

cheers

andrew