--On 2. Januar 2013 23:04:43 -0500 Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

TBH, I don't think anyone has any business changing the creation
timestamp.  Ever.  For me, the fact that pg_dump wouldn't preserve
this information would be a feature, not a bug.  I mostly meant to
point out that someone could bypass it if they cared enough, not to
recommend it.  Honestly, I'd probably *rather* store this information
someplace where it couldn't be changed via SQL *at all*.  But I don't
think we have such a place, so I'm happy enough to store it in the
catalogs, with the associated risks of catalog hackery that entails.

This is exactly what Informix does, it stores creation or modification dates of a table in its system catalog (systables.created, to be specific). Any export/import of tables doesn't preserve the dates, if you restore a database (or table), the creation date is adjusted. I'm not aware of any SQL interface to influence this.

--
Thanks

        Bernd