On 01/23/2013 05:17 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

Of course, I have no evidence that that will happen.  But it is a
really big piece of code, and therefore unless you are superman, it's
probably got a really large number of bugs.  The scary thing is that
it is not as if we can say, well, this is a big hunk of code, but it
doesn't really touch the core of the system, so if it's broken, it'll
be broken itself, but it won't break anything else.  Rather, this code
is deeply in bed with WAL, with MVCC, and with the on-disk format of
tuples, and makes fundamental changes to the first two of those.  You
agreed with Tom that 9.2 is the buggiest release in recent memory, but
I think logical replication could easily be an order of magnitude
worse.

Command Prompt worked for YEARS to get logical replication right and we never got it to the point where I would have been happy submitting it to -core.

It behooves .Org to be extremely conservative about this feature. Granted, it is a feature we should have had years ago but still. It is not a simple thing, it is not an easy thing. It is complicated and complex to get correcft.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579