On 24.01.2013 20:27, Robert Haas wrote:
Before getting bogged down in technical commentary, let me say this
very clearly: I am enormously grateful for your work on this project.
Logical replication based on WAL decoding is a feature of enormous
value that PostgreSQL has needed for a long time, and your work has
made that look like an achievable goal.  Furthermore, it seems to me
that you have pursued the community process with all the vigor and
sincerity for which anyone could ask.  Serious design concerns were
raised early in the process and you made radical changes to the design
which I believe have improved it tremendously, and you've continued to
display an outstanding attitude at every phase of this process about
which I can't say enough good things.

+1. I really appreciate all the work you Andres have put into this. I've argued in the past myself that there should be a little tool that scrapes the WAL to do logical replication. Essentially, just what you've implemented.

That said (hah, you knew there would be a "but" ;-)), now that I see what that looks like, I'm feeling that maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. It sounded like a fairly small patch that greatly reduces the overhead in the master with existing replication systems like slony, but it turned out to be a huge patch with a lot of new concepts and interfaces.

- Heikki