On 13-03-20 02:17 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 01:30:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

While this surely isn't the nicest answer, it doesn't seem totally
unreasonable to me.  A bad service name indeed does not contribute
anything to the set of defaults available.

I think the concern is that the services file could easily change the
defaults that are used for connecting, though you could argue that the
real defaults for a bad service entry are properly returned.

Yes, my concern is that if I have a typo in the value of PGSERVICE I don't want to end up getting connected a connection to localhost instead of an error.

From a end-user expectations point of view I am okay with somehow marking the structure returned by PQconndefaults in a way that the connect calls will later fail.