Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> writes:
> We are taking this approach because PQconndefaults() doesn't have an API
> to return the error cause, while other API calls do.  Returning true so
> we can later report the right error from a later API call just feels
> wrong.

Well, plan B would be to invent a replacement function that does have
the ability to return an error message, but that seems like a lot of
work for a problem that's so marginal that it wasn't noticed till now.
(It's not so much creating the function that worries me, it's fixing
clients to use it.)

Plan C would be to redefine bogus value of PGSERVICE as not an error,
period.