This seems to suggest that instead of generating one large ebook, the
build should generate a set of ebooks, say one for each part. At the
minimum, a less detailed toc could be more usable and help navigate the
huge contents.

Once upon a time we had multiple books as documentation, then at some point we merged them. It was quite a few years ago.

I would agree at this point that we need to consider breaking them up again. The documentation is unwieldy.

PostgreSQL documentation in PDF seemed quite usable on the same ipad, so maybe there is no unique answer. I like the principle and simplicity of "one" document to move around, so sticking to that if possible seems better.

--
Fabien.