On 01.07.2013 16:40, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2013-06-26 18:52:30 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
* Could you document the way slots prevent checkpoints from occurring
   when XLogInsert rechecks for full page writes? I think it's correct -
   but not very obvious on a glance.

There's this in the comment near the top of the file:

  * To update RedoRecPtr or fullPageWrites, one has to make sure that all
  * subsequent inserters see the new value. This is done by reserving all the
  * insertion slots before changing the value. XLogInsert reads RedoRecPtr
and
  * fullPageWrites after grabbing a slot, so by holding all the slots
  * simultaneously, you can ensure that all subsequent inserts see the new
  * value.  Those fields change very seldom, so we prefer to be fast and
  * non-contended when they need to be read, and slow when they're changed.

Does that explain it well enough? XLogInsert holds onto a slot while it
rechecks for full page writes.

I am a bit worried about that logic. We're basically reverting to the
old logic whe xlog writing is an exlusive affair. We will have to wait
for all the other queued inserters before we're finished. I am afraid
that that will show up latencywise.

A single stall of the xlog-insertion "pipeline" at a checkpoint is hardly going to be a problem. I wish PostgreSQL was real-time enough for that to matter, but I think we're very very far from that.

- Heikki