On 08/06/2013 04:00 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
On 08/06/2013 01:56 PM, Vlad Arkhipov wrote:
Hello,

We are suffering from a long-standing issue with autovacuuming/vacuuming
system catalogs on the production server. We are actively using
temporary tables in the legacy application, so system catalogs grows
unbounded in time. Autovacuum does not remove dead tuples and neither do
the manual vacuum. We are running PostgreSQL 9.2.4 on Linux 2.6.18 x86_64.

Nobody's holding an open transaction for long periods.
Got any prepared transactions?

SELECT * FROM pg_prepared_xacts;

SHOW max_prepared_transactions;

dcdb=# select * from pg_prepared_xacts;
 transaction | gid | prepared | owner | database
(0 rows)

dcdb=# show max_prepared_transactions;
 max_prepared_transactions