On 12 August 2013 18:37, Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:

> On 8/8/13 3:44 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Other than that, no.  I was thinking of creating a general tool as a
> > custom background worker, which would take stored procedure calls and
> > pass them through to PostgreSQL, returning results as JSON.  Mainly
> > because I need it for a project.  However, this wouldn't accept any
> query.
>
> You can write such a thing in 20 lines of code as an external service.
> What's the value in having it has a background worker?  (Note also the
> term *background* worker.)  It just seems harder to manage and scale
> that way.

When I think about that, it seems to me like the only value of that would
be a nice sql command for starting a service. On the other hand I could
implement that in python/perl/C and start external server from the same sql
query. When I started this thread I was thinking about writing some super
simple app, in something like python/perl, and run it externally. I really
don't like idea of having that in core, as it will be another thing to
support, test etc. and another source of security/efficiency bugs. What we
really need is something like phpPgAdmin with JSON/XML/Something api.

And one more thing: I would never let my db users to start such a service
on their own.

Szymon