> > The count approach seems definitely the right way, but a check (possibly
> > a slow one) can be probably done without initdb.
>
> We can certainly do the proper fix in 7.4; do we consider this bug
> important enough to do an initdb for 7.3beta2?  I don't have a strong
> feeling either way about that.

I think we are too scared of doing initdb during beta...

Initdb during beta should not be evaultated on a per bug basis, but keep a
list of all things that could be fixed and judge if the total of all the
fixes is worth one initdb.  Right now off the top of my head I can think of
the split function and this inherited change, are there more?

my two cents...