Hi Peter,

On 2013-09-13 04:50, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
The experiences with elog() and ereport() have shown that having one
function that can return or not depending on some log level parameter
isn't a good idea when you want to communicate well with the compiler.
In pg_upgrade, there is a similar case with the pg_log() function.
Since that isn't a public API, I'm proposing to change it and introduce
a separate function pg_fatal() for those cases where the calls don't
return.

I think the reasoning behind this patch is sound. However, I would like to raise a couple of small questions:

1) Is there a reason for the fmt string not being const char*? You changed it for pg_log_v(), but not for pg_log() and pg_fatal(). 2) Allowing PG_FATAL to be passed to pg_log() seems weird, but I don't feel strongly about that.

Other than that, the patch looks good to me.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja