My feelings on the patch split haven't changed; your three bullet points call
for four separate patches.  Conflicting patches are bad, but dependent patches
are okay;

Indeed, this is the only solution if you do not want one patch. Note that it will not possible to backtrack one of the patch but the last one without conflicts.

just disclose the dependency order. How about this: as a next step, please extract just this feature that I listed last Saturday:

 Patch (4): Redefine "latency" as reported by pgbench and report "lag" more.

Once that's committed, we can move on to others.

Ok, I'll submit a first part, hopefully today, possibly the one you suggest, about fixing and extending latency measure under --rate and reporting it under progress.

--
Fabien.