On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 22:00 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
The code has been sitting in HEAD for several months, and I
committed on the back branches because it was wanted.
New features normally go through a full development cycle including
extensive beta testing, especially when they contain changes to external
interfaces.  The fact that the patch author wanted his feature released
immediately (of course) doesn't warrant a free pass in this case, IMO.

Perhaps you should have stated your objection when this was being discussed, and saved me some time.

I frankly think we can be a bit more tolerant about build system features than we would be about the actual software it builds.

cheers

andrew