On 22.10.2013 20:27, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakan...@vmware.com>  wrote:
I propose that we use the same approach I used with GiST, and add a flag to
the page header to indicate "the downlink hasn't been inserted yet". When
insertion (or vacuum) bumps into a flagged page, it can finish the
incomplete action by inserting the downlink.

Sounds very reasonable, but I'm interested in how you intend to
structure things, given this sounds like what could loosely be called
btree private state. I may also need to use a flag bit for something
that is of interest to the btree code alone.

I may be missing something, but there are already plenty of b-tree specific flags. See BTP_* in nbtree.h. I'll just add another to that list.

- Heikki