Logic of this option is under following.
  1. execute cluster command to sort records.
  2. execute checkpoint to clear dirty-buffers in shared_buffers.
  3. execute sync command to clear dirty-file-caches in OS.
  4. waiting 10 seconds for raid cache is until empty .
  5. execute checkpoint to init checkpoint_timeout and checkpoint_segments.
  6. start benchmark.

I have similar logic in some of my benchmarking scripts but I don't
see a compelling reason to include it in pgbench itself.

I agree that this looks more like script material.

However I think that part of this interesting checklist and discussion could make it to some "caveat" section about reproducible performance measures in pgbench documentation, though?

--
Fabien.