On 11/17/2013 04:51 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
"David E. Wheeler" <da...@justatheory.com> writes:
You know that both types support scalar values right? 'a'::JSON works now,
and 'a'::hstore works with the WIP patch. For that reason I would not think
that "doc" or "obj" would be good choices.
I'm wondering about just pushing hstore in core (even if technically
still an extension, install it by default, like we do for PLpgSQL), and
calling it a day.

That would be one of the silliest and most short-sighted decisions we have made in many years, IMNSHO. The demand for strong JSON support is enormous. I don't think I have ever received as many positive comments on any other feature I have worked on in the last 9 years. What these people want is not something jsonish, they want json, pure and simple. And they want it fast and featured and efficient.

Much as I love hstore, it isn't json, and so it won't satisfy that demand.

cheers

andrew