From: "Amit Kapila" <amit.kapil...@gmail.com>
On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM, MauMau <maumau...@gmail.com> wrote:
* Approach 1
When postgres starts, it removes Administrator privileges from its own
process. But is this possible at all? Windows security API is complex and provides many functions. It seems difficult to understand them. I'm afraid it would take a long time to figure out the solution. Is there any good web
page to look at?

* Approach 2
Do not call check_root() on Windows when -C, --describe-config, or --single is specified when running postgres. This would be easy, and should not be dangerous in terms of security because attackers cannot get into the server
process via network.

Approach-2 has been discussed previously to resolve it and it doesn't seem to be
a good way to handle it. Please refer link:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1339601668-sup-4...@alvh.no-ip.org

You can go through that mail chain and see if there can be a better
solution than Approach-2.

Thanks for the info. I understand your feeling, but we need to be practical. I believe we should not leave a bug and inconvenience by worrying about theory too much. In addition to the config-only directory, the DBA with admin privs will naturally want to run "postgres -C" and "postgres --describe-config", because they are useful and so described in the manual. I don't see any (at least big) risk in allowing postgres -C/--describe-config to run with admin privs. In addition, recent Windows versions help to secure the system by revoking admin privs with UAC, don't they? Disabling UAC is not recommended.

I couldn't find a way to let postgres delete its token groups from its own primary access token. There doesn't seem to be a reasonably clean and good way.

So I had to choose approach 2. Please find attached the patch. This simple and not-complex change worked well. I'd like to add this to 2014-1 commitfest this weekend unless a better approach is proposed.

Regards
MauMau