On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> wrote:

> * Andres Freund (and...@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > That's why you should configure a second standby as another (candidate)
> > synchronous replica, also listed in synchronous_standby_names.
>
> Perhaps we should stress in the docs that this is, in fact, the *only*
> reasonable mode in which to run with sync rep on?

I don't think it is the only reasonable way to run it.  Most of the time
that the master can't communicate with rep1, it is because of a network
problem.  So, the master probably can't talk to rep2 either, and adding the
second one doesn't really get you all that much in terms of availability.

Cheers,

Jeff