On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Greg Stark <st...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Probably Heroku has some more specific exploit case to be concerned
> > about here; if so, might I suggest taking it up with the -security list?
>
> I don't think there's a specific vulnerability that needs to be kept
> secret here.
>
> Here's an example. I just created a new "hobby" database which is on a
> multi-tenant cluster and ran select * from pg_stat_activity. Here are
> two of the more interesting examples:
>
>  463752 | de5nmf0gbii3u5 | 32250 |   463751 | qspfkgrwgqtbcu | unicorn
> worker[1] -p 30390 -c ./config/unicorn.rb |                |
>       |             |                              |
>             |                               |
>      |         |        | <insufficient privilege>
>  463752 | de5nmf0gbii3u5 | 32244 |   463751 | qspfkgrwgqtbcu | unicorn
> worker[0] -p 30390 -c ./config/unicorn.rb |                |
>       |             |                              |
>             |                               |
>      |         |        | <insufficient privilege>
>

> Note that the contents of the ARGV array are being set by the
> "unicorn" task queuing library. It knows it's making this information
> visible to other users with shell access on this machine. But the
> decision to stuff the ARGV information into the application_name is
> being made by the Pg driver. Neither is under the control of the
> application author who may not even be aware this is happening.
> Neither component has the complete information to make a competent
> decision about whether this information is safe to be in
> application_name or not.
>
> Note that the query is showing as "<insufficient privilege>" even
> though it is listed in the ps output -- the same ps output that is
> listing the unicorn ARGV that is being shown in the
> application_name....
>
> You might say that the Pg gem is at fault for making a blanket policy
> decision for applications that the ARGV is safe to show to other
> database users but realistically it's so useful to see this
> information for your own connections that it's probably the right
> decision. Without it it's awfully hard to tell which worker is on
> which connection. It would just be nice to be able to treat
> application_name the same as query.

I would say that yes, this is clearly broken in the Pg gem. I can see it
having such a default, but not allowing an override...

The application can of course issue a SET application_name, assuming there
is a hook somewhere in the system that will run after the connection has
been established. I've had customers use that many times in java based
systems for example, but I don't know enough about the pg gem, or unicorn,
to have a clue if anything like it exists there. This is also a good way to
track how connections are used throughout a pooled system where the same
connection might be used for different things at different times.

What actually happens if you set the application_name in the connection
string in that environment? Does it override it to it's own default? If so,
the developers there clearly need to be taught about
fallback_application_name.

And what happens if you set it in PGAPPNAME?

Long term I agree we should really have some way of controlling these
permissions more fine grained, but I just blanket hiding application name
for non-superusers seems like a bad solution that still only fixes a small
part of the problem.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/