On 03/11/2014 09:37 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

In particular, I'd like to see an exclusion that prevents local users
from having the same name as any global user, so that we don't have
ambiguity in GRANT and similar commands.  This doesn't seem simple to
enforce (if we supported partial indexes on system catalogs, it would
be ...) but surely this representation is more amenable to enforcing it
than the existing one.

Should be workable if you're creating a local name - just check against the list of global roles. For creating global names, maybe we could keep an invisible shared catalog (or maybe only visible to global superusers) of local names / db oids. New global names would be checked against that catalog. Something like that.

cheers

andrew