On 05/08/2014 12:14 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
I'm pretty sure we need this on Mingw - this SYSTEMQUOTE stuff dates
back well before 8.3, IIRC, which is when we first got full MSVC support.
I tried googling for some info on this, and got a number of hits
suggesting that mingw didn't emulate popen at all till pretty recently.
For instance this:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-mingw/2009-September/002087.html
Jones is an ex-coworker of mine, and I'm pretty sure that if he said
it wasn't there then it wasn't there.

So I'm confused about how this worked at all in mingw back-when.

Mingw didn't, possibly, but we didn't rely on that. The MS C runtime library (msvcrt.dll_ has had _popen() forever, and we had this for Windows in PG 8.0 and have it still in all the back branches AFAICT:

   #define popen(a,b) _popen(a,b)
   #define pclose(a) _pclose(a)

cheers

andrew