On 05/15/2014 03:57 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
How long does a CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVELY run take? days or weeks seems
kinda nuts.
I don't know. According to this comment from cache/inval.c, it's expected
to be way slower (~100x) compared to CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS.

/*
  * Test code to force cache flushes anytime a flush could happen.
  *
  * If used with CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY, CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS provides a
  * fairly thorough test that the system contains no cache-flush hazards.
  * However, it also makes the system unbelievably slow --- the regression
  * tests take about 100 times longer than normal.
  *
  * If you're a glutton for punishment, try CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVELY. This
  * slows things by at least a factor of 10000, so I wouldn't suggest
  * trying to run the entire regression tests that way.It's useful to try
  * a few simple tests, to make sure that cache reload isn't subject to
  * internal cache-flush hazards, but after you've done a few thousand
  * recursive reloads it's unlikely you'll learn more.
  */

Yes, I've seen that. Frankly, a test that takes something like 500 hours is a bit crazy.

If we really want to run this in the buildfarm we should probably try to create a massively cut down test schedule for use in this case.

Incidentally, should the CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS machines also be defining CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY?

cheers

andrew