On 05/16/2014 07:30 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

Hi,

On 2014-05-16 07:28:42 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Can we get that fixed please? It seems rather bad behavior for pg_basebackup
to fatal out because of the permissions on a backup file of all things.
Instead, we should do WARNING and say skipped.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. We'd need to have a catalog of
common unimportant fileendings and such. We surely *do* want to error
out when we fail to copy an important file.they

pg_hba.conf~ is not an important file.

We know what files are important, especially in $PGDATA, they aren't variable, so why is pg_basebackup failing on a file it should know or care nothing about?

JD