On 05/16/2014 08:48 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

Hi,

On 2014-05-16 08:45:12 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
Software is supposed to make our lives easier, not harder. I should be able
to evaluate the errors for the conditions they create. This is why rsync is
and for the forseeable future will be king for creating base backups.

It's dangerous to ignore errors rsync errors other than 'file
vanished'. This hardly is an argument for your position.

Are you reading what I write?

I said. "I should be able to evaluate the errors for the conditions they create."

I never suggested ignoring anything. The point is RSYNC gives me a chance at success, pg_basebackup does not (in respect to this specific condition).

JD