On 09/02/2014 07:51 PM, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
Marko posted a patch to add assertions to PL/pgSQL last year, see
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5234af3f.4000...@joh.to. It was a
long thread, but in the end I think everyone was more or less OK with
the syntax "ASSERT <condition>;". I also think that syntax is fine, and
it would be a nice feature, assuming we can avoid reserving the ASSERT
keyword.

Did you really mean to say "more or less OK"?  I didn't wade through the
thread, but my recollection is that I was the only one truly OK with it,
some people expressed concerns but appeared undecided, and the rest of
the participants were completely against it.

I didn't pay attention back then, but I just scanned through the thread in the archives. Peter Eisentraut was fine with the syntax [1]. Pavel Stehule was OK with "ASSERT ...", although he wanted to be able to specify a level [2]. Jaime Casanova was OK with it [3]. And you can count me in too. I didn't see anyone strongly opposed to it.

There was worry about reserving the keyword, and Pavel wanted the level-feature, and there was discussion on the details of whether it can be caught with EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS. Those are important details, but there was a pretty good consensus on the basic ASSERT syntax by my count.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1385527300.28256.15.ca...@vanquo.pezone.net) [2] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFj8pRAoO=jms+d30bk6j1prvr04oaxdhya9po7pqy7zsbu...@mail.gmail.com [3] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/cajkuy5g-vcmf65jducnxdsywlr5sjeroqvtugd_+eie+2dd...@mail.gmail.com

- Heikki