On 09/02/2014 12:20 PM, Joel Jacobson wrote:
On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgri...@ymail.com> wrote:
Joel Jacobson <j...@trustly.com> wrote:

Sorry for being unclear, I didn't mean to suggest the main concern is
updating *all* rows.
The main concern is when you have a rather complex UPDATE WHERE clause,
aiming to update exactly one row. Some of the expressions might be
assertions, to just double-verify the values and to make it stand-out
you are checking those expressions.

These are two different problems which probably need two different
solutions.  Making the default behavior of a set-based command that
it throw an error if the resulting set is not exactly one row
doesn't seem like the right solution to either one of them.

I see your point.
Basically, we have two types of applications where PL/pgSQL is commonly used.
a) OLTP applications where you typically operate on one row for each
UPDATE command.

Your idea of what an OLTP application is seems flawed.

b) Data warehouseing applications where you process multiple rows in
each UPDATE command.

Ditto.

Regards,
Jan