Bruno Wolff III wrote:
On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 23:19:05 +0100,
  Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There isn't a way right now, but it's planned to be able to dump
floating-point numbers in some binary form (like printf("%A")) to be able
to restore them exactly.  Not sure how that would satisfy the needs of
client interfaces, though.

Why not print it as a floating binary number instead of a floating decimal
number? I would think that would give you better portability than a system
specific binary representation.
Having a way to get the binary storage representation for float numbers would be good and would suffice within the same float number standard.

Thanks,
Pedro M. Ferreira

Pedro Miguel Frazao Fernandes Ferreira
Universidade do Algarve
Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia
Campus de Gambelas
8000-117 Faro
Portugal
Tel./Fax: (+351) 289 800950 / 289 819403
http://w3.ualg.pt/~pfrazao