I sent an email before receiving the one below. I am happier also with the extra_digits way (from the previous email I thought the options were DBL_DIG or DBL_DIG+2).

I'm not happy with adding the hex-output option, since it's not
very portable and doesn't seem necessary to solve the problem anyway.
Agree.

Perhaps something like

extra_float_digits	int	range -2 to 2, default 0

extra_float_digits adjusts the number of digits displayed for float4 and
float8 output; the base value of 0 means we output FLT_DIG or DBL_DIG
digits respectively.
Agree.

Per discussion, there's no reason to allow a value greater than 2, but
I'm not as sure what the lower limit should be --- maybe there's some
use in setting it less than -2?
I could see some use. At least in my type of application. When people are shure they only need p significant digits, they can set extra_float_digits to an apropriate negative value and spare a lot in storage for dumps and backups. In this case it would make sense to let
extra_float_digits go to -13.

Regards,
Pedro

Pedro Miguel Frazao Fernandes Ferreira
Universidade do Algarve
Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia
Campus de Gambelas
8000-117 Faro
Portugal
Tel./Fax:  (+351) 289 800950 / 289 819403
http://w3.ualg.pt/~pfrazao

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster