On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 11:40:02PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I only tried this directly on Tiger, Snow Leopard, and Mavericks.  I
> tested libedit-28 by compiling from source on a RHEL machine, so it's
> possible that there's some difference between what I tested and what
> Apple's really shipping.  If anyone wants to try it on other platforms,
> feel free.

I ran libedit-history-fixes-v3.patch through my previous libedit-28 test.
Now, patched psql writes ^A for newlines in any command.  Here's the new
matrix of behaviors when recalling history:

  master using master-written history:
    oldest command: ok
    rest: ok
  v3-patched using master-written history:
    oldest command: ok
    rest: ok
  master using v3-patched-written history
    oldest command: ok
    rest: each broken if it contained a newline
  v3-patched using v3-patched-written history
    oldest command: ok
    rest: ok

That's probably the same result you saw.  How does it compare to the
compatibility effects for other libedit versions you tested?

> [ wanders away wondering how it is that libedit has any following
> whatsoever ... ]

Quite so.

Thanks,
nm