Hello Robert,

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Probably. I tend to try the minimum effort first.

I implemented this today in about three hours.  The patch is attached.

Great!

Your patch is 544 lines, my size evaluation was quite good:-)

Note that I probably spent 10 minutes on the 10 lines patch, but I probably spent hours writing mails about it.

It needs more testing, documentation, and possibly some makefile adjustments, but it seems to basically work.

I'll try to do that, but not in the short term.

Note that the modulo is not the one I need, but probably I can make do with an abs() function and/or a conditional.

--
Fabien.