On 10/2/14, 2:43 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>Questions:
>
>  1. Do you agree that a systematic way to report what a DDL command (or
>     script, or transaction) is going to do on your production database
>     is a feature we should provide to our growing user base?
Yes.
+1
>  2. What do you think such a feature should look like?
As with others, I think EXPLAIN is a good way to do this without adding
a keyword.  So you'd do:

EXPLAIN
ALTER TABLE ....
I'm thinking it would be better to have something you could set at a session
level, so you don't have to stick EXPLAIN in front of all your DDL.

As for the dry-run idea, I don't think that's really necessary. I've never seen anyone
serious that doesn't have a development environment, which is where you would simply
deploy the real DDL using "verbose" mode and see what the underlying commands
actually do.