On 10/17/14 5:03 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
Hm, I didn't understand your objection:

<quoting>
So e.g.:
    UPDATE foo f SET f = ..;

would resolve to the table, despite there being a column called "f"?
That would break backwards compatibility.
</quoting>

That's not correct: it should work exactly as 'select' does; given a
conflict resolve the field name, so no backwards compatibility issue.

local:marko=# show server_version;
 server_version
 9.1.13
(1 row)

local:marko=#* create table foo(f int);
CREATE TABLE
local:marko=#* update foo f set f=1;
UPDATE 0

This query would change meaning with your suggestion.

I'm not saying it would be a massive problem in practice, but I think we should first consider options which don't break backwards compatibility, even if some consider them "less clean".

.marko