On 10/30/2014 09:37 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2014-10-30 21:24:04 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
On 2014-10-30 21:03:43 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Meh.  Right now, it's easy to dismiss these tests as unimportant,
figuring that they play little part in whether the completed build
is reliable.  But that may not always be true.  If they do become
a significant part of our test arsenal, silently omitting them will
not be cool for configure to do.
Well, I'm all for erroring out if somebody passed --enable-foo-tests and
the prerequisites aren't there. What I *am* against is requiring an
explicit flag to enable them because then they'll just not be run in
enough environments. And that's what's much more likely to cause
unnoticed bugs.
Once they're at the point where they're actually likely to catch stuff
of interest, I'll be all for enabling them by default.
Great. We already are at that point due to the pg_basebackup
tests.
If we slightly extend it to also start up the newly made base backups we
will have the first minimal automated test of recovery...

There are other issues. I am not going to enable this in the buildfarm until the check test can work from a single install. It's insane for the bin tests to take an order of magnitude longer than the main regression suite.

cheers

andrew