On 10/30/2014 09:17 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2014-10-30 21:03:43 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
On 2014-10-30 20:13:53 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
As I said upthread, that approach seems to me to be contrary to the
project policy about how configure should behave.
I don't think that holds much water. There's a fair amount of things
that configure detects automatically. I don't think the comparison to
plperl or such is meaningful - that's a runtime/install time
difference. These tests are not.
Meh.  Right now, it's easy to dismiss these tests as unimportant,
figuring that they play little part in whether the completed build
is reliable.  But that may not always be true.  If they do become
a significant part of our test arsenal, silently omitting them will
not be cool for configure to do.
Well, I'm all for erroring out if somebody passed --enable-foo-tests and
the prerequisites aren't there. What I *am* against is requiring an
explicit flag to enable them because then they'll just not be run in
enough environments. And that's what's much more likely to cause
unnoticed bugs.

When this is properly sorted out I will enable this in the buildfarm default configuration. So I don't think that's going to be an issue in the long term.

cheers

andrew