There is an interesting thread about strcoll() overhead over on -general:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/cab25xexnondrmc1_cy3jvmb0tmydm38ef9q2d7xla0rbncj...@mail.gmail.com

My guess was that this person experienced a rather unexpected downside
of spilling to disk when sorting on a text attribute: System
throughput becomes very CPU bound, because tapesort tends to result in
more comparisons [1].  With abbreviated keys, tapesort can actually
compete with quicksort in certain cases [2]. Tapesorts of text
attributes are especially bad on released versions of Postgres, and
will perform very little actual I/O.

In all seriousness, I wonder if we should add a release note item
stating that when using Postgres 9.5, due to the abbreviated key
optimization, external sorts can be much more I/O bound than in
previous releases...

[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140806035512.ga91...@tornado.leadboat.com
[2]