On 2014/12/16 18:37, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 12/16/2014 11:23 AM, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:
pg_rewind assumes that the source PostgreSQL has, at least, one
checkpoint after getting promoted. I think the target timeline id
in the pg_control file to be read is only available after the first
checkpoint. Right?

Yes, it does assume that the source server (= old standby, new master)
has had at least one checkpoint after promotion. It probably should be
more explicit about it: If there hasn't been a checkpoint, you will
currently get an error "source and target cluster are both on the same
timeline", which isn't very informative.

Yes, I got the message, so I could find the checkpoint thing.
It could be more informative, or some hint message could be added.

I assume that by "target timeline ID" you meant the timeline ID of the
source server, i.e. the timeline that the target server should be
rewound to.

Yes.
Target timeline I mean here is the timeline id coming from the promoted master (== source server == old standby).

I got it. Thanks.

I'm going to look into more details.

Regards,

- Heikki