>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Geoghegan <p...@heroku.com> writes:

 Peter> You'll probably prefer the attached. This patch works by
 Peter> disabling abbreviation, but only after writing out runs, with
 Peter> the final merge left to go. That way, it doesn't matter when
 Peter> abbreviated keys are not read back from disk (or regenerated).

This seems tolerable to me for a quick fix. The merits of storing the
abbreviation vs. re-abbreviating on input can be studied later.

 Peter> I believe this bug was missed because it only occurs when there
 Peter> are multiple runs, and not in the common case where there is one
 Peter> big initial run that is found already sorted when we reach
 Peter> mergeruns().

Ah, yes, there is an optimization for the one-run case which bypasses
all further comparisons, hiding the problem.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)